Friday, August 7, 2009

Stop complaining la..

A (usually) 2 year diploma programme of education infinately better and better established than A Levels.
Consists of 6 chosen topics from groups, along with the compulsory 150+ hours of CAS (Creativity, Action, Service), 4000 word Extended Essay and a Theory of Knowledge essay and presentation.

Each topic is marked from 1 - 7, with an extra 3 points being added for performance in CAS, TOK and EE, with a total of 45 points achievable.

Considered Hellish and extremely difficult for some, others (myself included) really appreciate it. It Challenges you, and can either encourage you to become really organised or really lazy. May lead to extensive Procrastination (world of warcraft in extreme cases) and lack of a social life. Or alcohol abuse, depending on how you cope with stress.

Good points are that it is an internationally recognised qualification, and is equivalent to up to 7 'A' Grades at A level, and some higher level subjects (Sciences and Maths for example) are considered so advanced, that certain University's view them as almost degree level.
Another good point is that it can give you the opportunity to meet people from all over the world (especially at international schools) and can definately broaden your horizons. And it teaches you bullshit oh so effectively.

Lying becomes a way of life, sleeping becomes a luxury, Relentless and Pro Plus become your Gods, and eating just isn't necessary.
usual conversation between a normal kid and an International Baccalaureate student (over msn of course..)

Kid: hey fancy going out tonight?
IB Kid: I dont know, I still have 3999 words to write for my EE, I haven't even started my TOK presentation, I need to make up 139 hours of CAS, I've lost my GDC so i cant do this Chi Squared table for biology, I haven't eaten in 3 days, I can't remember the last time I slept and I have my Russian Oral tomorrow..
Kid: that was your excuse last week, what have you been doing??
IB Kid: I made a new rogue on a PVP server and pwnd some n00bs.

3 comments: